All along we've pretty much approached birthday's and "holidays" from the perspective that if the kids didn't care/weren't that interested than we weren't going to make a big deal. This means that last year for Halloween Josh bought Andrew a "costume" on the day itself because at the last minute he decided he did want to go to houses where people would give him candy. Being a smart kiddo those 4 houses we hit up made a believer out of him and all year long he has been asking me when Halloween was coming again so he could get more candy.
He also has been asking for ages if we can decorate our house for Halloween also, something I've been putting him off about because I knew the decorations would get all rained on and gross. Well hello Indian Summer, it's still 80 degree or darn close to it and earlier this week when he pointedly informed me the neighbors had Halloween stuff up it meant a trip to the Dollar Store for us.
Now we've had pumpkins, we'll Jack 'O Lanterns around long enough that poor Cooper's has already molded it's way into the trash (that darn 80 degrees) and Andrew's survives only because it is out front on the lawn where it can mold in peace. All further pumpkins are staying pumpkins right up until the big day! The boys were incredibly excited to shop and start decorating. Shame on me for actually being shocked when after about 20 min I realized they were playing in the "dirt box" and I was decorating the house ::sigh:::: so much for wanting to help. They are thrilled with the decorations and very excited so it was all worth it but I sure am not looking forward to taking it all down.
We have a couple "centerpiece" decorations, loosely meant to sit in the middle of your table. One is a Jack "o Lantern with some bats around it. The other night I held it up to my face, with the intent of being funny, and while attempting to make spooky noises said to Cooper " am I a spooky pumpkin?". Cooper being Cooper was very quick to point out that no mama that is NOT a spooky pumpkin, it's a JACK "O LANTERN! Score one for Cooper.
Getting ready to go. He's checking out the flashlights I'd put in our bags.
Horrible background but I love my pic of the men in my life. Of course after we moved the mattress the kids went wild.
Ready to take Halloween by storm!
They gave us CANDY!
This is what Halloween is really about, right? Coop was just a drippy mess but was so happy with that sucker. Note to self.......good suckers for next year.
Andrew certainly didn't make the mess that Cooper did by oh boy look at that cheek.
The full halloween bounty. Taken of course after the kids got to eat one piece and then off to bed. They really have impressed me. We've had days where they completely forgot and never asked for candy and most days they ask after lunch and then completely forget about trying to make a move after dinner. The candy has lasted so much longer than I expected it to and most importantly there has been much less drama. I really was dreading the process of doling out the candy and expected it to be constant fights, pushing for more, sneaking into it on their (andrew) own. Instead they have been perfect, asking for their bags with such manners and asking how many they can have if I forget to lay out a rule (usually 2) and then they just put them away. It's been a time when I've felt like all the hard work is showing some ROI.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.