I've been telling myself I wanted to blog for the boys for ages and well, like everything else it has to find it's place in our hurried and crazy life. Since there is never really a best time to get started and a best first post I'm just jumping right in.
A few weeks ago we took the boys to Fort Bragg, it had been pretty much exactly a year since we'd been. Amazing how the year flew by but since the last time we were there it was to move my mom out of her house we've had no reason or good excuse to go. My dad and Rosemary have finally retired and moved back so now we have both the blessing of a great vacation spot and the curse of a horrible drive to see them. After a single trip the boys are also missing the quick 2 hours to Fairfield but they had such a great time that I think they'll come to tolerate the drive.
It's my childhood home so there was definitely something important I suppose, for me, in sharing it with them and I'm glad I had that opportunity. They adore the yard, the old renters had a pond which had been removed prior to our arrival and a huge, deep dirt hole was the best gift those kids could have asked for. They spent the first 3 days digging and pouring water, creating the biggest, messiest, muddiest pit ever! The rest of the yard was a little out of control still but in time they'll have a blast exploring and playing in that large space.
We took them up to Confusion Hill and the Drive Through Tree. I wasn't sure any of us could stand another day in the car but they were absolute troupers. The tree was a lot of fun, they were thrilled by the prospect that our car was going right inside a tree. I'd forgotten that there was a huge pond there so that provided good entertainment and the boys were happy to run and run and run after being in the car for an hour. Josh took them on a little hike up through the redwood there which they loved. Confusion Hill ended up being a massive disappointment. We primarily went to ride the 30 min train through the redwoods they have, only to arrive and find that it now being Fall they only ride on Saturday's. The kids were terribly disappointed but they handled it incredibly well. Andrew loved the gravity house which surprised me, it's not that exciting and I didn't expect a little one to get it at all. They also had a small playground that made the kids happy and after leaving there we stopped at a playground in Leggett for the kids to run off a bit more energy before piling back in the car to head home.
All in all we had a great trip, I can't wait to go back but as Andrew told Grampa the other day on the phone " you live far away past all the mountains". yeah kid, it's a long drive but sooooo worth it :)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.